View Single Post
Old 22 Jan 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3015253)   #39
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
....I have a 70-200 f2.8 IS II and it's a cracking lens. It will also produce some great shots with MkII 2x extender fitted, especially when there is some light around. Sadly I seemed to be at a lot of dark and damp meetings in the UK last year so the top quality hit rate ratio dropped a bit as might be expected. On the upside at least the available light and spray offered some variety for the images.

I've never used a 100-400. I was very tempted until I hired the 70-200 for a weekend and fell for it despite its limited focal length (for quite a lot of motor sport locations in the UK at least) and higher price.....
Interesting that Grant. I have a Nikon 70-300 which is reasonable but not up there with their best and I'm considering trading it in for the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 which is similarly highly regarded (i.e. similar performance wise to your Canon I think).

I find that I rarely use the 70-300 beyond 200mm at most circuits (it's a bit soft up towards 300 in anycase). I miss out on the 'head on' shots which often need a longer length (but they don't tend to do a lot for me anyway). So if I'm brave enough to splash out on the 70-200 I would also combine it with an extender.