View Single Post
Old 6 Dec 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1478312)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Firstly, i must admit that i'm not fully up to speed with the details.

But iirc (and i stand ready to be corrected), the deal for STR to run V10s is actually made when Stoddart still own Minardi. FIA allowed small privateers leeway to use restricted V10s if they can't afford to adapt their car to V8s or cannot secure V8 deals. Cosworth offered Stoddart V8s, but Stoddart chose V10. Political or not is open to debate, but the best reason i can find for Stoddart to opt V10 is that their new car (which i think Stoddart plans for 2-3seasons worth of use) is designed around a V10.

Red Bull took over the team far later on.... and while i do acknowledge that STR has the budget now to convert, it's a grey area as the deal was done before Minardi became STR. It's really not wrong or bias or "good friends at work"

On the other hand, i'm quite curious as to why after taking over Minardi, Red Bull opt not to change. Probably they do not want to pump excessive cash into STR to re-develope everything until 2007...but i thought that RBR may benefit if STR runs V8s which effectively give them a racing "test-team" in terms of tyres, aero-parts, etc.