View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2017, 09:29 (Ref:3767026)   #2963
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I think this is a bad idea, every 2 or maybe three years perhaps, but not a complete wipeout.

younger people are generally less practical and don't do maintenance, these are the ones more likely to have cars in the later period, and more so moving forward. Even if you're a bonafide mechanic, we all make mistakes from time to time, The one thing an MOT does is confirm a second opinion on safety critical items . . . . not many people can test brakes at home, and the MOT rig will thoroughly check steering/suspension as well.

Although it does mean I can take the race car for a quick road test
And given all the electronics etc. on recent cars there are so many systems that are beyond the home mechanic that it can't be good.

Add in the performance of modern cars - a friend told me that his Dino was slower than a standard Golf let alone a GTi...

Factor in people who realise it is a cheap way to run a car and you could have a perfect storm.

In Belgium an "Oldtimer" is over 25 years (going up to 30 soon) has a limited MOT when it is registered and that is it, then you have minimal insurance and tax to pay...
But their use is restricted to pleasure use - no daily commute, collecting the kids from school etc. - this is probably better monitored than it could be in the UK since there are plenty (e.g. far too many!) of policemen, all visits to a garage are logged (e.g. tyre fitters submit the date and mileage) etc. but I'm still worried by the number of 911s etc. that aren't checked...