View Single Post
Old 13 Jul 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2925923)   #9
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I think you're coming from the same kind of mindset as me here, Purist.

Thanks very much for the comments, lads. Much appreciated, as ever.

Thing is, have we ever really have a sweeping high speed circuit alá Osterreichring with modern day F1 cars (say, 1994ish onwards)? We havn't. So it's hard to say as to whether it'd work.

But my point is, creating a track like this today, would be incredible. It'd be able to boast all the new facilities and high tech structures that all new tracks have, but actually having a genuinely high speed circuit in the center of it!

People would call it 'the new Osterreichring', simply, because there's been nothing built quite like it.

It'd have all the adequet run-offs, the drivers would find it a challenge, it'd have a bit of elevation (not too much, because I mainly want the grandstand sections elevated so the fans could see most of the track from any grandstand). I can't see why it couldn't happen, and why it wouldn't be an immensely popular facility?

Someone mentioned in the other thread (I think!) that "we've hardly had classics at technical tracks like Hungaroring", which is a fair point.

What's wrong with variety? Besides, it may not go on to produce the most overtakes of the season, but if it's great to watch for the fans at home, the fans at the track, and the drivers are enjoying the challenge, I don't see an issue.

It'd be like Valencia but without all the bad bits

Selby