Old 17 Jul 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2927758)   #22
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Not to be overly critical but these(even the first one) are kind of complex to be in the mold of Monza, old Silverstone, and the Osterreichring. They seem like what you would get if you were at the end of a development of an older track that had been modernized. I also think that you're ignoring some types of corners because the profile doesn't seem like it would be fast. For instance, the first corner at Imola doesn't look fast, but at the maximum, it feels very fast and it's very rewarding to get it bang on, because you have to carry speed through the whole thing. Les Combes, and Nurburgring and Imola at Magny Cours are two good examples of this as well.

But it's dangerous to think specifically F1 and do this. Especially when you add the racing aspect. I'd think about a series more in-line with CART in the late 90's, or with the old F1, because thinking of the new F1 will hamstring you, and it's not for certain if the changes would even work.
That's a very good point.

As for me I won't make a design of my own but my wishes for a track like this would simply be something different from every circuit on the (F1) calender today, and yes, I do think it would be worth sacrificing a bit of the overtaking to accomplish this.

There's a few nice medium-downforce circuits like Spa and Suzuka but nothing that forces the teams to race at minimum downforce. I would love to see modern F1-cars on the old Österreichring but maybe something like the old Hockenheim would be better? Instead of the normal mix between high and low-speed corners that makes the cars end up in a medium-low downforce spec, design it fast enough to make a really low-downforce set-up the fastest one. That way you could have a circuit that stands out and still have a couple of slow corners to encourage overtaking.