View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2015, 10:17 (Ref:3493529)   #6
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Re your last comment- I don't think anything will change that!

The DFV engined F1s are already limited and I am told this does reduce rebuilds, which I think are £25k a pop. And yes, engines are optimised to give best torque and power in the Rev range restricted to!

I don't know much about the "Rev limiter" required but it looks expensive. Not sure if it is best choice or someone did a good selling job......

But when they introduced the DFV rev-limit someone reconfigured the engines to produce more power...
DFVs have come with various bore/stroke and valve size configurations over the years and someone came up with a new configuration that worked better at the new rev-limit, hence remaining "competitive" required a rather expensive "rebuild".
A normal DFV rebuild should be much less than 25 grand (7½ if you're lucky), 25 sounds more like the cost of modifying to the new spec.
But the rev-limit does increase the mileage between rebuilds and is closer to what would have been used in period.