Old 29 Apr 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2681673)   #84
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
You wouldnt be in the wrong gear as you would know immediately what gear you were in by the speed you were travelling and the rev counter so that scenario would never happen.
Well I have to admit some responsibility when my stepson did a rolling start in my car at Croft a few years back in the wrong gear. We'd never previously done a rolling start so we discussed the start procedure. Thinking there would be a reasonable pace set (and knowing the gear ratios in the 4 speed 'box) I told him to start in 2nd gear. However, there is a hairpin at Croft just before the start line and for some reason the front row cars just did not pick up any speed approaching the line so being in second gear was totally wrong and he bogged down badly as the others roared away - as he was almost at the back of the grid this was not such a problem. Some of you will, correctly, say that he should have changed down when he realised the speed was low and he was just about to when the speed of the others picked up!