View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 2011, 01:33 (Ref:2838234)   #51
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
Well this is just what NZ motorsport needs right now(NOT).
the cars look great and is needed for the future but surely it needs to be done with the all factions working together.we have small f/ford.gt3 porsche and production/mini fields this year trying to support nz V8, with utes and suzuki numbers only acceptable.
I remember the Abbott inspired TV winter series for fords and tranzam lites many years ago.ZERO crowds and TV only which eventually died as drivers realised they couldnt just put TV coverage to sponsors and guarantee backing.(i ran a number of cars back then).
Crowds this year at Tier 1 have been very average to say the least and i dont believe the quality of racing is to blame,and now we can dilute the scene even more by splitting the NZV8 ranks--i dont think 13 or 14 of the current cars is going to cut it next season.Porsche looks like its all over for the time being and formula ford is hanging by its finger tips.
having seen a lot of tier 2 and below events this season its not all rosy there either numbers wise!!.
So maybe we can look forward to 12 or 13 oversize club meetings covering a 12 month period.
From all accounts there seems to have been a major convergence of EGO's with the whole new car project which isnt resolved and probably wont be.
I'm sure if it was back in 2007, it would be fine, but I think the economy is a drag and will be for a long time to come. I think the ChCh earthquake is going to have long running ramifications that will reverberate through the economy. I'd guess that a large chunk of Tier 1 runners are funding their racing efforts off the back of their business or business associates rather than outright commercial sponsorship and when times are tougher, non essential things like motorsport are going to get the whack.

I think big EGO's are one of those things in motorsport that has gotten old for me, lots of people that have to have control and fight over stuff fans couldn't care about. While I think the new car is the way to go, I do wonder whether people can either afford it now or want to afford it or if they are willing to pare off into an unknown setting outside of the normal summer championships. Potentially you could have some car owners content to run the old dogs for eternity and some content with the new series. So you end up with 12 here and 12 there and everyone is nowhere.

I do however feel national FIA organizations have no business promoting motor racing championships. I see their role as benevolent overseers focused on safety and licensing and other minutiae. I see them as a non profit entity focused on assisting all those involved in the sport, not putting their credibility at stake taking sides in commercial racing championships and tracks.