View Single Post
Old 7 Nov 2016, 09:17 (Ref:3686171)   #3
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Croft didn't have a big crowd yesterday and I wouldn't have expected one on such a vile day - although I was there myself. But so far as the Council is concerned Croft isn't unusual in that it operates under the same legal constraints as any other venue - ie it has to obtain and comply with planning consents and not make more noise than is allowed . Irritating for fans but we live in a small country and far too many people in motor sport fall for the old canard of people moving to area and then complaining - it's a lazy story which writes itself.

But Croft's planning controls don't stop it holding a hell of a lot of trackdays and a reasonable number of race meetings . Where it falls down is virtually zero local marketing , thin gridded race meetings - anybody who saw Britcar there would have died of boredom - a handful of cars droning round for hours - and a generally shoddy customer experience . This ranges from dire catering to randomly effective PA , and ,from my own experience , very shoddy treatment of season ticket holders.

Ironically BARC do a cracking job at Harewood but Croft , having reached a peak wit F3, BTCC and GTs in late 90s now feels like it's cruising. Shame - it's 20 minutes away for me and the Northern Saloons and Sports Car series is a shining example of a diverse and well supported series .