View Single Post
Old 1 Sep 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2532410)   #67
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The bit about old cars and modern generation is not always correct as can be seen by success of VSCC and to a certain extent the Edwardian cars.99% of Pre War cars are driven by drivers born long after the cars raced in period and they are different from modern cars.
I think there will always be some people who take an interest in things outside their direct formative experienc, and a few who 'inherit' the interest from older family members and friends. But I suspect the numbers decline over time making reducing the level of activity.

I can't prove that. It might be an interesting subject for study.

Quote:
The value of cars in museums depends on what cars are being talked about.I am sure if the Collier collection were sold they would raise much more than they cost when entering the museum
That and to some extent scarcity sionce scarcity and uniqueness seem often to be correlated to percieved valuation. The world of art seems to rely on that form of value assessment at the top end.

Undoubtedly the use of a car, in historic circles that implies eligibility for events that people might wish to attend, adds to its base value bit that possibly has more effect for the lower value cars in terms of turnout and their owners' willingness to take the risks and cover the event costs on the basis that there is a chance that the underlying investment - the car - will at least hold its value. Maybe turn a profit providing one excludes running repairs and preparation.

Of course the same would be true without an value at all for the car at time of purchase and time of sale! Doesn't make for much of an over dinner conversation though.

Quote:

If a car took a gang of 20 people to look after in period it will take the same number today unless someone comes up with the formula to simplify the design.
If 20 skill sets are required then I agree. If 20 people were required simply to get the work done to refurbish between events and then run pit stops then I tend to disagree. Less work load should mean less man hours required. However the difference may not be proportionate.

Quote:

As very few people watch Historic Motor Racing should the spectator have a minority vote and the entrants who own the cars decide the way forward?
You mean they don't?

I imagine than some people become preparers/competitors having first been spectators, thus the appeal to spectators might be important for introducing nw blood, especially as the natural 'from my younger days' component fades away.

Quote:
Idea is a broad discussion not bits and pieces.The broad brush approach rather than detail.
Yep.

Whether there would be a benefit in havibng fewer events is interesting. It seems to me that in recent years there has been a stronger interest in historics (good for attracting and retaining new blood?) and that has been reflected in good grids and more meetings. This year not so good for well documented reasons but then again the 'modern' events seem also to have suffered, perhaps to a greater degree.

It might be interesting for organisers, if they feel the need, to stage a few races offering track time for the next 10 years of cars beyongd the current cut-offs, assuming there is enough consistency in the period to support a 10 year span.

Other than the BTCC type tin tops (can we call them tin-tops?) and presumably F3/ Formula Vauxhall for the open wheelers, I have to confess other possible club level categories don't spring to mind. I was not a regular circuit visitor during the 80s and 90s. Group C would be a possibility and is covered from time to time but realistically the costs involved if one wanted a regular events with a good grid are beyond the funding ability of the less wealthy competitors even if they had the desire to participate. Plus the cars are scattered around the world and now too many were created primarily for customer use as was the case with Marches, Lolas, Chevrons and so on in earlier times.

So what COULD be the basis for extended Historic racing into later eras, technical issues notwithstanding? Wiould the categories be interesting enough?