View Single Post
Old 15 Jun 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3741652)   #21
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One can disagree, but never question anyone's choice for DOTR, it is a personal opinion, and so If I want to nominate Felipe Massa, who was taken out on the first lap, for the honour, so be it. However, I sometimes wrestle with the logic of some nominations.

Many people have named Lewis as their choice on the grounds that he started form pole and won the race (Fastest lap is means nothing in this context), therefore surely Bottas would be rated as second in the ranking as he started from third and finished second, while Ricciardo by cruising to third merits a 'kudos to'. Vettel on the other hand got himself involved at the start and spent the race battling through the lower orders so little to recommend him. Alonso struggled around way off the pace so has nothing to boast about, while the two Force India drivers simply wasted time in a futile battle.

My point is that if the DOTR is the man who wins easily without effective opposition, why would some one who battles heroically against adversity be worth any praise at all?

My interpretation of the 'Easy Win' nomination would be.

1 Hamilton
2 Bottas
3 Ricciardo
4 Raikkonnen
5 Hulkenburg
6 Stroll.

Just to clarify; I voted fro Vettel. But then I am a Silly Old Fool