View Single Post
Old 3 Jan 2010, 10:06 (Ref:2607581)   #37
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I worked at Elstree Aerodrome years ago in the days when Graham Hill (the histo connection to my post) won Indy and arrived with a brand new Piper Astec. I was meant to be there to assist the mechanic who worked on the aerodromes owner's twin Cessna but in reality I was also a bit of a general dogsbody. Anyhow the London School of Flying used Chipmunks back then with the bicycle undercarraige and one student was using the grass strip and got the landing wrong and pitched the thing up on its nose leaving said student hanging in there unable to get out. The alarm bell went and nearly everyone in the place downed tools and rushed over to the 'Fire Tender' which in reality was a clapped out 1948 Landrover (2nd histo reference) already loaded down with equipment. Anyhow we all jumped on the thing wanting to be part of the action and it was so loaded down it wouldnt move so we spent the next few minutes arguing amoungst ourselves who was going to get off and in the meantime the poor hapless student was was hanging virtally upside down by his harness unable to move and screaming for help! Casey's Cops sprung to mind.