Thread: WEC Race 2012 Six Hours of Fuji
View Single Post
Old 12 Oct 2012, 05:36 (Ref:3150253)   #100
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Deggis, a significantly greater proportion of the lap at Le Mans is composed of high-speed, high-downforce corners than is the case at Monza. Therefore, regardless of F1 cars having not run there, it is only reasonable that F1 cars would run equal if not more downforce at Le Mans than at Monza. They're already so drag-limited that I can't see them gaining much of anything trying longer gears at Le Mans, especially if they run more downforce.

Also, how is it possible to run only 311km/h in qualifying at Suzuka, with free reign on DRS, and run 318km/h in the race with no DRS, and 322/323km/h with the limited allotment of DRS? Sorry, those numbers do NOT add up. Also, the number from Spa qualifying is 310km/h, but weren't we seeing 311-313km/h from the Audis last year at Spa?

I must say that I really don't feel like I can count DRS-generated speeds as legitimate. If they had free reign to use the system in the race (which I know would defeat the point of it as it is intended), that might be another matter. However, it is what it is, and not a Chaparral flap, so it really comes off as a video game feature. I really cannot see it as an accurate reflection of what the car setup alone would make possible under the current conditions.

Deggis, I don't know what to do with your second link. The listing on the left almost instantly goes from clickable links to straight text, so I can't actually click on them to get any session results. (I checked my Adobe Reader, and no notice of needing an update came up, as far as I could tell.)

Looks like the Toyota has it in Practice 1. I'm looking forward to seeing just how quickly these guys can lap this Fuji layout.

(Of course, there was something just wild about those Porsche 956s hurtling around the old track, with no chicanes, and averaging nearly 140-mph. The old, unmolested, 300R was something else!)