View Single Post
Old 25 Nov 2014, 00:34 (Ref:3478420)   #12
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Since Honda are entering the fray, they have a year of development more than all the other engine manufacturers, I presume. Surely that is a little unfair.

Or have I misunderstood, and the Honda engine was frozen at the same time?
Jumping in later, they have fewer "tokens" available to fix what they determine needs fixing their first year out.

If they have to go to something like this, I think this was a slick way to do it. Sure, later entrants get the advantage of seeing some of what worked and didn't but a lot of it is super-secret intake and combustion chamber design or other goodies you can't know without getting your hands on a power unit (unlikely) or poaching talent from another manufacturer (more likely but possibly still very difficult). Probably it's a smaller advantage than it appears and the later you enter, the less opportunity you have to fix your mistakes.