Thread: WEC 2017 WEC Season
View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2016, 13:57 (Ref:3666351)   #34
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
When you consider that NASCAR has had trouble since at least 2008 (Goodyear tire fiasco) packing the stands that they're allowed by IMS to use for that race, IMS probably would want the WEC to race there.

However, I can't see them using the same track that Grand Am used to use. There any big differences between the road courses that GA and Indy Car use?

Also, I do believe that short term the WEC will still pick COTA, in spite of the bad date (start of football season and high heat, even if it's a day into night race) and stagnant attendance.

But then again, IMS hasn't done well with NASCAR attendance since 2008, but they're getting a lot of TV money from NASCAR and NBC. But I can't see the ACO and COTA being able to do the same due to limited TV reach/interest in North America.

Granted, I think that Dr. Ullrich and most of the teams would have no trouble doing Sebring, Road America, Road Atlanta, and other tracks that Audi have raced at in the ALMS days in NA, but the ACO/FIA snobs want pristine facilities for VIPs over having good tracks.