View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3792349)   #5357
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Looking back though the figures, it'd seem that Toyota will likely run 11-12 laps per stint with about 20% less fuel in the tank. On paper, that seems (at Le Mans, where I'm basing these figures) that the LMP1 privateers will be able to run roughly similar stint lengths at LM, as they'll lose only .1kg of fuel per stint vs Toyota's near 20% deduction that will likely cost them two laps around LM.

I know that one theory about doing tires and fuel at the same time may've been to see if the distance record could be under threat. I don't think so, not just because of how the ACO now use local yellows (slow zones) and FCYs at Le Mans, but with the increased fuel consumption for privateers and Toyota's reduced fuel tankage, we'll probably be seeing 11-12 lap stints like in 2011.

Compared to 13-14 lap stints, I'm thinking at for the LM24 that teams will be seeing (notably Toyota as the benchmark example here) probably 3-4 extra stops, and doing tires and fuel with two wheel guns (vs up to now with separate fueling and tire changes and one wheel gun at a time) since tire usage restrictions will be essentially the same, I don't think much time will be saved in the pits with the extra stops and having to triple/quadruple stint by default.

We'll probably see a bigger impact in the sprint races, where you'll have 8 stops (I don't know yet 8 full fuel stops or 7 stops and a splash), teams probably using their full tire allotment, and the shorter race times/distances.