View Single Post
Old 2 Jun 2014, 13:17 (Ref:3414243)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
S.Moss has given some good advice there. I come from a short circuit background and despite your size [you've yet to give us your weight which is most important], I wouldn't rule out the contemporary short circuit scene either. There are bespoke 'heavyweight' categories there so you can be competitive - 'Ghinzani' on here is a big guy and does relatively well in prokarts - though there's also Rotax Max Heavy for 2 strokes as well.

The most important thing at this stage is to go to race meetings - short and long course - and speak to people. Try out the schools - there are also short circuit equivalents - and build up your understanding and knowledge BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING !
Davy is correct you can still be a big guy and race Prokarts and Max, however that is only in the heavy classes. Given your georgraphical location I am not sure where your nearest Prokart Heavy grid is but Rotax Max 177 they will probably run at Glan Y Gors or up at the tracks near Liverpool. In terms of weight, I am 15 and a half stone now after a recent crash has stopped me training and I weigh around 198kgs in a Prokart, so depending if they run a 190 or 200kg class that gives you an idea. When I was fighting fit at 14.5 to 15 stone then I was quite close to the 177 Max weight limit, however I still had fun when I was around the 16 stone mark and it does encourage you to lose the weight. Max being 28hp are of course a lot faster than Prokarts at 14hp, but in turn a lot more expensive.

Another alternative it to try the hire kart series to start with, no overheads and several including Covkartsport and Club100 run heavy classes.

Last edited by ghinzani; 2 Jun 2014 at 13:19. Reason: spelling is poor - see me after class!