Old 12 Dec 2016, 18:00 (Ref:3695564)   #40
zipperkarting
Rookie

France
France and Jeresy
zipperkarting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bike engined car running cost

Hi
I'm currently running a Speads RS08 with 1300 Hayabusa just for Track Days.
My first outing was a disaster. I demolished the complete top end, I assume from downshifting at too high revs. Well at least that is what I was told.
My motor was a Powertune motor so I was a bit upset.
However I bought another stock 2006 motor having been told it was probably as quick as a 1999 Powertune.
It seems OK to me but I've just purchased a Powertune ported cylinder head with APE valves and adjustable cams that I want to fit on the stock bottom end.
Can anyone see any problem with this? Will it bolt straight on without further mods?
Also thinking about a slipper clutch as I assume this will help with the downshifting also. Any views on this would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count 'Johnny' Spinoza View Post
Whoops!

I got so carried away with engine stuff that I forgot to answer the OP's questions fully.

What it costs is a bit of a variable but my pal, JP, reckoned he did a full Bikesports season (including petrol for the tow car) for about seven grand.

Because I'm forever developing my car, I've never done a full season - or anything like it - and being busy and useless, I get someone else to prepare and repair my car, tow it to the circuit and provide on circuit support. It's also a very complex car so, adding in all of those factors, I spend a LOT more.

So, all in all, if your doing most of your own your own spannering and not forever launching the car at the scenery, I reckon 10k might be a reasonable budget for a full season in Bikesports and around the same for RGB.

On the subject of tyres, it's certainly true that, in the Radical Club Cup, they are fitting new tyres like they're going out of fashion but, for Bikesports, two or three sets per season should be plenty.

As for what car to buy - as much as I hate to say it - I think buying a Radical is a no brainer, really.

Global Lights are now a bit long in the tooth and Speads ownership can be only slightly less painful than root canal work without novacaine, so I'm dead jealous of the proven products with good support and spares availablity that Radical owners enjoy.

What model of Radical is largely a matter of where you want to be on the grid. A tidy, upgraded, Clubsport will be cheap to buy and run, but won't get you right to the pointy end, whereas a PR6 will be more expensive to buy, will get you to the pointy end but, at the pointy end, you'll find yourself running with the big boys with big wallets. On balance, for Bikesports, a 1300/1340 Busa engined SR4 isn't a bad choice and will give you lots of fun in the mid-field.

Hope this is of help.

C 'J' S