View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2735999)   #17
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post

Doesn't sound too shabby. 3 hour GT open races looks like it could work, and GT1 looks like it's going to North America next year.
I can already tell you the target markets -

Northeast (NY, Boston, Philly, DC)
Florida
California

Florida and The Northeast because it would cut down travel cost. This is also the motivation for the World Touring Car series to come to America.

The old series was at Homestead and Sebring

California for several reasons, but FIA/Ratel has past experience at Laguna Seca and it was well-attended race when it was held here in '97 and '98.

I would put my bet right now on Laguna Seca. California Speedway is a Roval was well, last used by Grand Am several years ago, but its constantly in use by NASA and SCCA SoCal Sports Car Club for Regional Events. Its 70 miles from Los Angeles and has a rail connection. Attendance has been falling for NASCAR, it suffered after the CART/IRL split and Grand Am was never accepted here. However Super GT did run expeditionary race here and had planned on returning but that never happen. Attendance was good.

I would avoid the temptation to do a Urban Festival. It could however replace World Challenge at Long Beach, putting it right in the center of things. Since there's only ALMS, Indy Car and Indy Lights if you eliminated WC, I think the Sprint (1 hour) format would work for the series here.

They could also pair up with World Touring Car who's looking to come to America as well. I guess if Chevy does its job and markets the race featuring its Cruze and BMW dealers do their part, I guess it could have a fair turnout on its own, but that's hard to say.

I would go to both events however -