View Single Post
Old 26 Jun 2017, 17:25 (Ref:3747035)   #18
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
Is there a particular reason why the Polos seems so fast? And also so fast out of the box? Is it its chassis? It's engine? And is there already more info on those cars? The previous Polos (both Marklund and Kristofferson) had Trollspeed engines
The most comprehensive source of information I have seen on the Polo is Race Tech Magazine #199:

https://www.kimberleymediagroup.com/...-issue-rt-199/

I haven't got the article to hand, but if I recall correctly the engine is built by VW Motorsport and is the same engine that is used in the Beetle in the GRC.

VW Motorsport obviously know the chassis and it seems like quite a bit of tech from the WRCars (old and new) has gone into the Polo rallycross car. That said, I still think its a very impressive debut from the team.

What struck me as a little concerning is that the tone of the engineer interviewed in the Race Tech feature implied that they haven't been able to go all out on the design of the current car. Perhaps that was just the way I read the comment(s) but, if that is the case, it makes you wonder how much faster the car could be.