formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Sorry, but that is nonsense.
Woah, take it easy. In principle, I don't think F1 teams should be "developing" drivers from a young age. I can't be bothered explaining at length why atm. That's atm.

Quote:
A team can do what it likes to bring a driver through.
Yes they can.

Quote:
I don't believe there is any inherent advantage in starting at the back.
I did not say starting at the back. However, I do think there's some merit in spending some time driving a weak car, a weak team, and having to improvise or scratch around for a 5th place or like.

This, as opposed to having the best car, resources funds and guiding a car to a win. I don't think it was a accident that Hamilton's worst races of 07 and 08 were at Brazil, and the title was on the line. I don't think it's an accident that Hamilton's best race when the title was on the line was at Abu Dhabi in 10, when he really had no chance.

Quote:
Red Bull took on Vettel when he was under 22 btw. What an odd age to select, funnily enough exactly Hamilton's age when he started in F1. What a coincidence. Oh and he started his F1 career in a BMW and a very competitive, Newey designed and Ferrari engined STR. The school of hard knocks has another graduate!
Yeah, but was does that mean? You are only looking at Hamilton and Vettel's career. I think it's fair to say that Vettel has shown enough that he'd have made it in F1 with or without Red Bull's help.

But you've kind of helped me make my point. Leaving Hamiilton and Vettel aside, what about all the other drivers that have been part of a driver "development" program at McLaren or Red Bull? They might provide some sponsorship, but they done nothing for a lot of drivers.