View Single Post
Old 3 Jul 2014, 01:33 (Ref:3429707)   #1254
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
Does it move, or does it deflect? The rules say it can't move. "Move" is like the old Chaparrals, with a mechanical linkage to go into high downforce when the driver applied the brake. If you look at those two paragraphs together, clearly that's what they are trying to prevent. The rules don't say it can't deflect, and they all deflect. There is no perfectly rigid structure. It's all a matter of degree. The tests specify how much deflection is allowable under how much load. It passed the tests.
I don't quite get the "move" vs. "deflect" point. To "deflect" you have to "move". That is just semantics. I also don't agree that it has to have some type of mechanical linkage, but otherwise I agree. There is no perfectly rigid structure. That is why the rules as written, if applied to the letter, are violated by every car.

Enforcement is "attempted" via specific objective test procedures (that teams can also perform on their own). There are a million things that can "move" on the body. It is crazy to try to define testing procedures for every conceivable scenario in advance. If they did, it would take days to get a single car through scrutineering! New testing procedures arrive "as needed" to solve problems as they arise.

Also, as I mentioned somewhere else, passing scrutineering doesn't mean the car is "legal", it just means it "appears to be legal" and is cleared to race.

Richard