Thread: WEC Race 6 Hours of Nurburgring
View Single Post
Old 15 Jul 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3751475)   #48
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
For stuff like LM and this weekend, I still say penalize the offending driver, not the whole team. In race infractions like track limits and avoidable contact, then give a potentially race altering penalty. But for stuff that can be pinned on an individual driver that goes above basic infractions--like totaling a competitors car or running into someone under yellow due to inattention or their own actions--park the offending driver.

The ACO did it with Rob Kauffman and Stuart Hall at LM in the past, IMSA did it when then (and current) race director Beaux Barfield docked Dindo Capello and Sasha Massen half a qualifying session at Mid Ohio for causing accidents at Lime Rock in 2008 (he also initially wanted to place both drivers on probation and penalize them 3 drivers points, though those measures either didn't happen or were appealed), Grand Am parked Colin Braun for a race or two for rough driving. The FIA, though Charlie Whiting and their current stewards' panel officials, have threatened Sebastian Vettel with a possible race ban if anything he does between now and the end of the season is seen as being worthy of being examined by either the FIA Tribunal or the WMSC or the FIA President.

Again, why punish the whole team for the actions of one? Drivers already do enough of that to their teams (see the #9 Toyota at LM).

And don't get me started on NASCAR, where I believe they ought to get up the fortitude to DQ teams that are in violation of their technical rules in post race inspection.