View Single Post
Old 4 Jul 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1346619)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well the Bugatti 251 was weird and wonderful ....... and incredibly slow! I think the innovative oddballs really added interest to F1 grids but I agree with mclaren_fanatic, it's unlikely that we will see any new ones.

I think my favourite has to be the Gordon Murray designed Brabham BT46 'fan car', which won the 1978 Swedish GP in the hands of Niki Lauda but did not race again. The other drivers complained about it showering dust and gravel over them and the function of the fan (cooling, said Brabham; ground suction effect said everybody else) was challenged. Although it was not officially banned, one Bernie Ecclestone (Brabham owner at the time) decided it would be politically astute not to test the water further and withdrew it from further GPs.