View Single Post
Old 16 Sep 2007, 10:57 (Ref:2014415)   #36
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The year was 1995 and it was the first year that I'd known anything at all about motorsport. Whilst I was transfixed, naturally on the Formula One, elsewhere, Colin McRae was well on his way to taking the WRC title for Subaru, becoming the youngest WRC of all-time in the process.

I was lucky enough to have watched McRae in action (on the TV, but... still) and it was a pleasure to watch him drive. Long after he departed the Subaru team, I still connect the 555 liveried cars with him and it's a shame he couldn't win another one in his lifetime.

McRae will be remembered as a driver who took a World Rally Championship at the height of the sports competitiveness and popularity. He'll also be remembered for his daring, his courage, and the fighting spirit that seems inherant in some people.

It's almost too hard to believe that both of our British WRC Champions are no longer with us, and have both been taken from us at such young and unfair ages.

Rest in peace Colin and too, those others who were on board the helicopter when it crashed. My thoughts are with the families, particularly Colin's wife, his children, Jimmy, Alistair and the rest of his close personal contacts.