View Single Post
Old 16 Jul 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3751994)   #7976
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Though published by Racer Magazine, it's written by RLM/DSC staff.

Also one thing that I think is kind of overlooked about the Audi Sport involvement is that was based heavily on bragging rights in my opinion. The quick change gearbox/modular design of the R8, first electronic DFI win, first diesel win, first hybrid win, beating Porsche and Toyota in '14. IMO, that was all bragging rights that will show up in the record books. There's not many new records for Audi to beat, and the same for Porsche. Both have little left to prove at LM.

Granted, Audi in the ALMS was based partly on marketing, and when they accomplished their goals there, they scaled back and pretty much left the series. Audi accomplished most of their goals in the WEC and LM, too. Would they have liked more success the last couple of years they were there, probably, but I place a lot of that on the ACO's IMO flawed EOT and ERS incentive, which is what's lead to the expenses jumping so much vs 2013 and earlier. Porsche even have had issues recently with the ACO, mostly over Toyota's aero rules interpretation.

But even on Porsche's end, they won LM 3 years in a row, won the last two WEC titles and seem poised to win this years. They really have nothing left to prove.

So why not do something else to stay involved in racing, save some money, and maybe get ready when the new rules go into effect? I'll bet you that's also possibly the mode that Audi Sport are in right now. Do something else until the ACO can come up with rules worth making a massive investment in.

Last edited by chernaudi; 16 Jul 2017 at 20:44.