View Single Post
Old 17 Dec 2010, 11:21 (Ref:2805529)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having given this a bit of thought, the idea of an historic 24hrs is interesting. One of the problems I see with "bringing it up to date" as it were, is the crossover with Britcar. That said the sort of car I would select for this would be a Beemer, Porsche 944/911, A Viper GT/RS or similar. Just snooping through racecarsdirect and there are a few suitable rides, all around £35-45k. Then once you buy it you'll need the same amount again to strip it, re build it and prepare it.

A budget racer or clubman isn't going to last five minutes unless the preparation is top notch. 24hrs is a massive step change from 6hrs. For many cars and drivers, it's three seasons of racing! As a minimum it's a new engine, gearbox and diff. Complete strip and re build of the suspension. New electronic ignition units, new fuel system etc. I've just spent £15-30k in that sentence depending on the car.

The old Willhire was effectively a run what you brung, road car event. Even then many entrants spent a shedload of time on the cars before they hit the track. These days with fuel system requirements and the necessarily expensive fuel cells to go with, most "clubmen" would blanch at the idea.

Not trying to discourage anyone but from experience this is a major leap.