Thread: NZV8's 2011/12
View Single Post
Old 10 May 2012, 20:43 (Ref:3072409)   #1288
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenzv8s View Post
One thing with the Ford engine it mentions on their web site it runs on 89 - 91 octane fuel. Does anybody know what will happen when they put 98 fuel through it.Ford also has a 5 ltr quad cam 32 valve engines with internals designed for the emission rules that govern the state of California. A mass produced engine at best.
Holden are going to a 6.2 ltr push rod engine.Sorry but were we not trying to get closer parity with our new cars. What on earth is going to happen if Audi or Merc join the series? Don’t know about the rest of you but if the Toyota is as good as it is made out be then we will see a mass exodus of teams joining Toyota? Can anybody remember what happened last time Toyota entered touring cars in NZ. Cost everybody a lot of money and they pushed the technical regulations to the max. Don’t see this foray being any different.

If we complain now of parity between Ford and Holden then we have seen nothing yet.
Shame really as the press may pick up on this and have a field day. Like they say, any press is good press but given we are in a “roll your sleeve up and have a good scrap” with the other crowd I cannot help but feel their very simply philosophy of a one make engine may (and I have my fingers crossed saying this) just make sense.
AFAIK, octane ratings are calculated differently in the USA than down under. But don't quote me on it.

Political correctness and conformity is starting to overtake the world and it's spread itself into motor racing. Competition is now bad because we might hurt someones feelings or offend. And as a result motor racing worldwide in some spots is getting stale and boring by forcing everyone to use the same exact thing.

And to me that just goes against what motor racing was always about and what it should be about. Motor racing is about competition and winning. And if you are not winning, finding solutions to win.

People rant about the costs for such competition in cars and parts, but the reality is everywhere in the world where one make and control parts have been used, costs have gone through the roof, because you end up having to purchase one part from one supplier at a huge mark up, rather than buying from a competitor(competition in prices keeps costs lower) or engineering your own solution.