View Single Post
Old 5 Jan 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3700347)   #153
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Richard, my initial proposition was that if a team gets extra money where is it best to spend it, driver ability or engineering. I do agree that long term, better engineering is likely to give lasting benefit but I also have had a bee in my bonnet for quite a while that we may not be attracting the very best drivers to F1 because of an over reliance on budget contribution.

The Autosport piece that set me off suggests that tenths of a second cost millions to find for the top teams and I feel drivers offer teams such as Manor more bang for their buck.

Comparing drivers ability is difficult and one of my connections feels that at the top level of motorsport we pay too little attention to driver coaching. I have no way of answering the question but how many top drivers, not just in F1 but in all world series actually have a coach as would be the case with a top golfer or tennis player? And how many tenths would a coach find?