View Single Post
Old 20 Jun 2008, 07:18 (Ref:2233167)   #1258
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
The percentage change you quote there for the difference is kind of meaningless as a statistic. I mean, had the gap been 0.1s, you could have a 100% increase to 0.2s. Who cares. The fact remains that Porsche stretched the gap by 0.8s over a 4 minute lap. If that's substantial to you, well, I guess that's just how it is.

Risi was running until after dawn last year. I believe the time of the accident was between 6 and 7am, putting it at hour 15-16. Risi's run last year was a bit of a stretch and then cruise, but not so much so. In general they just had the measure of most of the cars there on race pace. This year they definitely ran a race pace run, though one partly dictated by their Wed/Thurs woes.
Well its only meaningless if the numbers are small.
A 1,2 second gap per lap translates in an advantage of about 66m/lap at an average speed of 200km/h
A 2.2 second gap translates into 122m/lap at the same average speed.
this means that in theory, after about 109 laps (+/-1/3 of the race), the Porsche would have a 1 lap advantage. (assuming all other factors remain equal)
You say its insignificant, I say not.

Statistics are like bikini's; what they show is suggestive, but they hide it vital.