View Single Post
Old 26 Feb 2015, 18:54 (Ref:3509354)   #67
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
No the sport doesn't have big crowds but it does have some crowds - with a core of people who watch the sport all over the country and abroad. But b@##!r them, who cares about them?

Sometimes wonder why I bother going. Some owner/drivers (e.g. Mike, Iain to name but two) do appreciate spectator support, others perhaps not so much?
its a strange one…I used to travel widely to watch Historic racing, It all started for me with the AMOC intermarque series, TR register series, Collonade thoroughbreds, anglo american challenge etc…

I then got into TVR's and started spannering at meetings…When I became involved I stopped watching most of the other races…

I guess its very much a personal thing.

When you've started to do it, watching it is less of a draw.

I don't think is is so much that we don't appreciate spectators. Its just that most club racers are very much driving for themselves and not actively trying to put on a show.

I think there are 2 facets of racing..Club acing and Fia semi professional racing, They sort of overlap on a few dates across the year but I think mainly they attract very different enthusiasts…

I am pretty sure footballers aren't doing it for the spectacle either.Trouble is today most do it for the money.

So hopefully you won't take it personally. I like showing genuinely interested folk around the car, I will talk racing with enthusiasts all day but I am in the same vein not there because I am putting on a show..

What I can't stand is the events where a load of shall we say fair weather enthusiasts turn up with wives and squawking kids, mainly only interested in the fairground rides, hot dog stand and hoping they're going to see a prang!!

I personally like football. its something for the general proletariat populus to immerse themselves in whilst we enjoy motorsport.

Don't forget that whilst it may have cost average joe £20 plus his lunch money, most club racers will be down about £1000 for their weekend of fun.

N.

Last edited by Heightswitch; 26 Feb 2015 at 19:02.