Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 3 May 2022, 10:47 (Ref:4108749)   #3939
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Out of curiosity - I took a trawl back through the depths of 10/10ths to see what was being discussed in 2000.

Guess what - the same complaints then.

21 Jun 2000 - Rule changes make overtaking easier?: 'Technical changes for 2001 could make passing less of a lost art.

Technical changes brought in for the 2001 Formula 1 season could make overtaking easier by reducing front-end downforce and aerodynamic sensitivity.

The series of changes, which also include enhanced driver protection, were unanimously agreed by the F1 teams and passed by the FIA World Council, motorsport’s rule-making body today (June 21).'

1 Jun 2000 - One year ago: 'Most of the drivers are complaining that Formula One is becoming boring and blames the few opportunities for overtaking for much of the lack of thrill.

They have asked for a serious overview of the technical regulations in an effort to bring back some thrill to the Formula One arena.
Former world champion Damon Hill said F1 team bosses should take the matter serious as the current regulations has taken the sport into a blind alley.'

22 May 2000 - More Passing?: 'We all know that F1 racing is becoming boring because of the lack of passing.
We know that taking of the wings and putting slicks on will make it better.'

The consensus at the time seemed to reach the view that:
  • We should go back to turbos and slicks and no driver aids at all.
  • NO refueling, better head protection structure & raise minimum weight.
  • A reduction in engine capacity.
  • Allow turbos with a reduced engine capacity.

I think we are in a position where many of us can comment about what we think should be improved - but experience shows that we are not always right.....
  • Ban rear diffusers.