View Single Post
Old 25 Apr 2013, 07:28 (Ref:3239169)   #43
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Reading through this thread it seems to me that there is very little to complain about. Henners made good points about giving up certain things in order to move house/have kids (congrats by the way) etc. But at some point we've all done it. I gave up racing until I could afford it again, so these things are sensible rather than unfortunate.
Thanks
I make do with what we have now and even though life is hectic, we also have an exciting era in F1. I'm a long time supporter of Lewis Hamilton since before he stepped up to F1 and I don't want to take time out from the sport for obvious reasons. I'll still catch enough even if I can't afford to invest time and money into a non essential hobby. I took time out between 2001 and 2004 whilst I was at Uni and only caught a handful of races during that time. That was an ideal time to do it in hindsight as I felt the dominant Schumacher era turned many people off the sport and post 2005 onwards we have seen interest level gradually rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The Beeb has a good homely feel to it and who cares if some of the races need a bit of patience? Ultimately you get the bits of coverage you need and in the highlights, even if Ben does shout, you get all you need to see?
If the BBC extend their current deal to show half the races live with highlights of the rest, I can live with that. I still have access to Sky F1 if I really need it but I've found the BBC are the better package for my needs. I fear soon I will be watching races in parts and many days after the event when the baby comes along, but as long as I see the race I don't care. I agree with you regarding the delivery of the BBC with a homely feel and you get the impression its just natural to them. Suzi has taken to the job very well I feel and although has had a few moments where she's looked a little lost, I think she's brilliant for the job. I've seen some rather scathing criticisms of her across the web and I sometimes think I am watching different coverage altogether.

The highlights haven't been so bad and often its edited so well it doesn't seem like there are laps missing IMO. Still I'd rather have the race in full even if I find myself fast forwarding more often than not. Sounds silly doesn't it? I think Sky have a long way to go before they match what the Beeb do pre and post race. Brundle is their unique selling point who we are all used to and know well. I must admit he got on my nerves at times on the Beeb, but he's one of the best commentators out there. I do feel Sky pad their program out with far too much filler and the pundits don't come across quite as comfortable and natural as their rivals over at the Beeb. But as I said before they have to offer more time on air as it is what they are contracted to do and how they market their product. The good thing is you get the choice to tune in late and miss all the dull bits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
The ideal scenario for me would be for every race and qualifying session to be shown in full, on the BBC at stupid o'clock (early) and the Saturday & Sunday morning. (I do understand that for this to happen, 95% of the races would have to be re-scheduled to run at such unsociable times, whereas in reality Bernie is trying to make the opposite happen. I'm just explaining what would suit me).
I could then record the programmes, get up 2 hours before my wife, and watch them to my hearts content without being hoovered around, or in other subtle ways being made to feel guilty because I'm just sitting around watching TV!.
When race highlights & qualifying repeats are shown late afternoon, I have to avoid all radio & TV news and tread extremely carefully if I use the internet to avoid inadvertantly stumbling accross the result and often end up watching the coverage I've recorded finally late at night, quite often falling asleep before the end (but that's the fault of the red wine and no criticism of the commentary team or a lack of excitement in the race!)
You sound like you are in the same position to me
I too would love it if every race was on the Beeb and shown at 5am on a Sunday morning just so I could set it to record and get up at 7.30 and just watch the race coverage. That would mean I have the whole of Sunday to do the things that need doing and get less hassle when I want to get back early evening to watch the race. In recent years I've often recorded the race and watched in the evening as I just can't justify watching TV on a Sunday afternoon, especially in the summer when the weather is occasionally hot lol. Dodging the results can be tricky but I don't use my phone or go near TV or radio when I know I want to watch the race as though it was live.

Last edited by henners88; 25 Apr 2013 at 07:34.