View Single Post
Old 22 Mar 2017, 23:04 (Ref:3720786)   #3441
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I agree. That's also why I don't watch F1 as much. But F1 has far less safety cars than IndyCar and utilises FCYs, so the random effect is minimised in F1. TV coverage (like IndyCar) is completely dire and overly expensive, and like you I hate DRS.

I actually get the same feeling with IndyCar, because there always seems to be a random roll of the dice that means half the race was worthless. It felt monotonous sitting down to watch a 2 hour race, of which the first 90 minutes could be completely disregarded. You can achieve an IndyCar random result by making races 30 minutes wrong and randomising the grid. That's what put me off it completely.

If that's what people want, then awesome. I'm not going to sit and tell you that's wrong because it's not - different preferences for different folks. But IndyCar is a shadow of its formal sense, and I figured it might be worth hearing an ex-fans opinion. I watched both CART and IRL through the 90s and 2000s, and even attended a CART race (that's relatively rare for a Brit!), but I just can't watch the new IndyCar. It doesn't feel like IndyCar to me, at all.
CART was an exceptional series and I have to agree, IndyCar is a shadow of it's former self. I will watch a race and think back to when they were racing Marchs, Lolas or Reynards. I have downloaded pretty much every CART season, so I'm not wearing rose tinted specs and drinking Kool Aid.

However, IndyCar has come a long way since unification and they are trying to improve the series. Fortunately, because Boston was a non-starter, not one but two iconic road tracks were back on the calendar and both produced good racing, plus a good core nucleus of tracks is coming together.

I'll continue to watch and follow IndyCar because no other open wheel series has the variety of tracks and personally, I find the racing is closer and better than F1.

Which CART race did you go to?