View Single Post
Old 13 May 2017, 05:35 (Ref:3733123)   #23
SlatorRacing
Rookie

SlatorRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't at Cadwell, nor have I seen any footage - in fact this is the first I've heard of Code60 being using in UK club events since the introduction in the 2017 yearbook.

I think we can all see the benefits of what Code60 brings to the safety of the marshals and also to our racing. The advantages over running a SC are:

- Don't need to wait for the train to be formed
- all cars are circulating at the same speed (under SC in a mixed formula race those at the rear might be 'on the pace' trying to catch the train as to better their chances post SC period)
- the circulating speed of 60kph is sufficient for drivers to control their vehicles
- the effect is instantly deployed and recovered. The SC period can only finish in one place and the train leader backs off from that ready for the restart. Code60 gets rid of all that and instantly restarts the race.

The disadvantages are:
- It's new and as drivers we're mostly against change
- It's another regulation to remember, I have contact with a lot of club level racers who struggle to recall what I think are the easiest of regulations
- Organisers MUST run sector timing in order to effectively police the Code60
- It adds expense for someone to accurately measure their speed. Using RPM in a known gear is OK but not forced to be the most accurate.

My 2 penneth. It does have it's place and I can't see a way to introduce it gradually. If it means that marshals have their danger limited and we get longer racing under a green flag because we're not waiting for the SC train to form then I'm all for it. Red flagging and restarting a 15 min race will have a sever impact of the race in question and subsequent races in the programme. The programmes are tight as the organisers need to make best use out of the available circuit time in order to make the events run.