Thread: IMSA: USCR 2018
View Single Post
Old 14 Apr 2017, 03:22 (Ref:3726248)   #44
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Europe does, it's called GTE Pro in the WEC, with an Am variant in WEC and LMS.

Only difference is name and the ACO and IMSA go their own way with series unique BOP.
Ummmmm I think most of us know this.

I think the guy was making a point.

And I have to agree ... splitting the last race of the season in half to "save money"? Running two small fields in two separate races? P=O=ing the fans for What reason?

If the series wants to make it cheaper on competitors, run fewer races through the season. Hacking up one of the iconic races is dumb, and how much would it save? The teams would still need to do a complete tear-down---and they would even if were a 100-minute race because---it is the last race of the season.

Teams are going to be stripping the car to bare chassis, seeing what if anything can be reused, what needs to be replaced with next year's parts ...

The only thing that a half-race would save would be a few sets of tires and a little fuel, and the fuel costs and lodging for the crew far outweighs fuel and tires for the car anyway.

Worst thing is, P-O the fans and ticket sales drop and revenue falls and teams get charged higher entry fees to make up the difference.

Hmmmm ....

I cannot say I know for sure why Sebring attendance was down this year--or if it really was (it sure seemed to be.) I think it might be because fans weren't too excited about seeing another Cadillac romp, and every indication was that that would be on the menu.

And it was.

IMSA has a good series in its hands ... and could drop it and break it irreparably pretty easily. I am sort of thinking messing with some of the most iconic and best-attended races is not the idea they are looking for.