View Single Post
Old 2 Sep 2016, 17:18 (Ref:3669248)   #25
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
I have been watching NASCAR for five years now, and to be honest I find what they are up to off putting. The TV audiences are going down, the stands are half empty, and I have not read anything positive by fans online about what they are doing. Hopefully whoever is coming up with these gimmicks is going to get the boot and someone with a half brain replacing them.
There are Chases in the top three series, and if one wasn't baffling enough, all three have different rules. Then there is now the Dash for the Cash in the Xfinity series, and the Caution Clock for the truckers.
The Sprint Chase is so dumb, the commentators were getting excited about a back marker puttering around on 7 cylinders and not being able to win the championship if he wasn't 30th in points by next fortnight.
Only three Chase eligible drivers have won in the Xfinity series because of the ineligible part timers winning so much, and the Dash for the Cash Heats were hopeless.
The Trucks are full of mad teenagers crashing and they already throw cautions for the slightest incident, the last thing anybody wants is more of them.

I just can't get interested in who's in or out, and who will win any of the championships as it is all so utterly random.
"I have been watching NASCAR for five years now, and to be honest I find what they are up to off putting. The TV audiences are going down, the stands are half empty, and I have not read anything positive by fans online about what they are doing."

Agreed, but, as stated previously, it's happening to all of racing. Watch any series on TV and you'll notice the fans are not there like they used to be. I don't go as much as I used to and racin' was/is my passion.

Some thoughts...

The worlds economies are not all that great.

The sanctioning bodies are trying "close competition" gimmicks to draw new fans (BoPs, wings that open to aid passing, yellow flags/safety cars to re-group the packs, etc., etc..... 'Drivin' true fans away, like myself.

The new fans they're trying to entice are people that just aren't into cars like many true fans. Just about everyone has been exposed to the usual sports (stuff kids play or do). Ain't so with auto racing fans.

Again, just a bit of how I see it.

jimclark