Thread: LM24 Race Truth In 24 II
View Single Post
Old 28 Apr 2012, 15:06 (Ref:3066560)   #91
FKWD2
Rookie

FKWD2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFKWD2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On purpose, I am not quoting anyone in this thread. Really respect everyones opinion and point of view.
However, if you allow me to shed a bit of light on how those documentary films are made:
In 2008, Audi of America commissioned a film from Intersport/NFL films. A film crew followed the team throughout the season. Team and pit2car radios were recorded, engineers equipped with microphones, "eavesdropping" microphones used to record conversations in the back of the pits (as Rocky and Alex found out the hard way....or the friends from Peugeot on the side to their press conference...).
The live commentaries from Radio Le Mans and Speed were taped and provide the exclusive background to the on-track action with the addition of interviews recorded before and after the race.
I remember talking to the head of marketing for AoA after qualifying and discussing what would eventually come out of this after the Quali result and Sebring and Monza....
What I am saying here: taking the risk to commission such a project is not comparable to producing a commercial- where we are talking about a controlled environment.
It is definitely designed to tell the story of an Audi success and thus build image and awareness for Audi and its participation in the sport.

On the other hand: i accept that these projects do not appeal to everyone, especially if you are a fan of the opposition in said race. It is quite naturally a very narrow focus on the Audi Sport Point of view. Aside from the natural "bias" you have when working for one side, there is the simple fact of access to material that prevents you to tell the story of other manufacturers in equal depth.
So we can only leave that to their own projects (and a number of them have been quoted here) and to the excellent recollection of the race in the ACO's own DVD. That one does indeed give a balanced account of also the other classes in the race.

No offense, everyone, but the bit I really hope for is that all those projects combined are advertising/commercials FOR THE SPORT and will continue to build the image of endurance racing with people who previously haven't seen this (also through national TV stations ;-)