Thread: Costs of Racing
View Single Post
Old 26 Dec 1999, 16:54 (Ref:2871)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graham:

~~~~~
CHAMPIONSHIP
~~~~~
I think I'd be looking to run in a Castle Combe series to both keep travel costs down and to learn the racing art by driving the same track, thereby gradually honing skills and being able to try new things each time. Of course, I'm only guessing at this so anyone who runs a car at Combe might like to give me a few pointers....?[QUOTE]

You can always do that at other tracks. As I sid you cant progress beyond novice unless you race at more than one circuit.
[QUOTE]~~~~~
CAR
~~~~~
It's probably folly to suggest this, but I don't think it would be practical or wise to start with a ultra competitive car. The way I see it (at first anyway) is the slower you go, the more time you have to work on skills and the softer the inevitable impacts will be. After a time I'm sure it will be a constant quest for 'more speed, more speed' but to begin with I'm quite happy to sit at the back and watch what everyone else does.

Most likely car is one that is interesting (therefore NO GTis), does not have a boy-racer-esque body kit (no Fords), isn't ugly, handles quite well ... I need go no further than to say it would almost definately be a Mini. Love 'em, you see. Would probably be non-Coopered to keep initial cost down.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't matter how old the original car is. If you want to race you will need to renew everything.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I could never bring myself to sit in an MG Metro - I'm of an age whereby I've seen (and known) the sad boy racers with blacked-out windows (etc) on the roads, so draw parallels. Metro isn't 'historic' enough for me either (unless a 6R4, but that's another story...). I like my chrome!

It depends what you want to do. If you want to race you'll drive anything.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
~~~~~
CSCC
~~~~~
Your club seems quite good, but it is relatively small when considering the other saloon racing options that Andrew could have competed under BRSCC or BARC. On an exposure scale, it doesn't seem particular big - certainly, I'd never heard of the various CSCC races I saw at Combe until Andrew contacted me. Perhaps that's an indictment on me, but in my defence I've sampled a large array of series since 1992/3 at all sorts of levels. Perhaps it is the fact that you only returned to Combe this year after so long a gap that explains my ignorance

Tuscans have qualifying races in order to fit all the cars in!

Thanks.[/b]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The CSCC Championships are administered by the BARC which is why we don't race at Combe very often. We also need to run qualification races at the more popular tracks. You are typical of the average Autosprout reader in that Marcus Pye and his merry men consider Fford, FVauxhall, Tuscans and other semi-professional championships as Club racing. Therefore Club racing never gets coverage. Doesn't stop us enjoying ourselves though.

Hope these "quote" things work.

[This message has been edited by Peter Mallett (edited 26 December 1999).]