View Single Post
Old 26 Nov 2016, 15:05 (Ref:3691139)   #12
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Usual comprehensive and erudite intro from Born Racer. OK, you can go away and rest your brain cells for a few months now.

Re "interfering". I'm not interested in Christian Horner's opinion of what Lewis should do, because he's not a part of the Mercedes team. However, getting your car between the two title protagonists is not interfering, if you are capable of doing it. Indeed, backing out of such a situation in order to "not interfere" would be interfering.

I think qually has worked out just about as good as it could have for Rosberg. He was very unlikely to get pole, but being second has achieved what he needed. Added to that the second row is filled by the more sober members of Red Bull and Ferrari, leaving the more pushy drivers back on Row 3. All he has to do is drive around behind Hamilton, which is something he is pretty good at.

Personally, I think Hamilton will try to back Rosberg into the following cars. There's nothing wrong with that; it's what I would do. He'll be spending this evening trying to work out how to do that with minimum risk or loss of time to himself. Meanwhile Rosberg will be trying to work out how to counter that strategy and the Ferrari and Red Bull drivers will be trying to work out the best way to capitalise on it. For sure they will be well aware that they can pull a big move on him and he won't fight it too hard as long as it keeps him in third. Pushing him down to fourth is likely to meet a bit more resistance.

I've been puzzling over the potential benefit to Red Bull of starting on super-softs. OK, they'll go a bit longer in the first stint but they'll be on old tyres while their rivals will be on new during the overlap period, so they're unlikely to gain places or even time. The only benefit I can see will be if it allows them to do the race with one less stop.