Thread: GT Open 2017
View Single Post
Old 30 May 2017, 08:18 (Ref:3737318)   #76
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Others are doing and have done the same thing. Why criticize only the Lexus team? There's guys racing on their squad that are not very good 'pros' and the driver ratings thing is far from being perfect. And the VLN series being a BOP game applies to all cars, not just one. And usually it's before the N24 they try to game the system, not after (when the RC F won late in the year).
I have criticized Acura for the exact same thing actually. No offense, but you're clearly so focused on the Lexus praise that you're happily ignoring anything else, despite actually quoting the bit that says NSX. Acura have no place running a works backed effort in GTD either. Whether or not it's first year or not shouldn't matter - it's a customer based class and meant to be no works backing, so neither Lexus or Acura have any place supporting works teams IMO. Same can be said for Alpine in LMP2. It's a private class, go away.

I can't really think of many examples of other teams and cars doing the same in GT3. SCG003 I suppose doesn't enter in many places, but that'll never get GT3 homologation so can't run everywhere. The Jaguar isn't going to get much running elsewhere, but even that's went in at Blancpain level. Aston Martin have been pretty poor with GT3s recently but again there's a customer in Blancpain, but then again they aren't works backed GT3 Astons anywhere. I can't think of many GT3 cars that have as troubled a start and such a slow ease in to competition at a lower level than the Lexus has.

Quote:
GT300 in Super GT is not an AM class. You admitted you don't know about that so maybe you should watch it sometime. The races are on NismoTV's youtube. The GT3 cars run the same BOP as they do in SRO.
I never said GT300 is an Am class. I said they entered in an Am class in America. I don't have much interest in SuperGT. It seems a great series for what it is, but the Japanese racing has never held my interest too much. Granted it's much more watchable with Sam Colins doing the commentary though. What Lexus do over there might well be impressive, but in Europe and America they're still off where they should be.

Quote:
It's still just a GT3, they can enter any series that runs those cars and it'll be fun. Blancpain is not the end all be all to GT3 racing. What makes Emil Frey or Farnbacher that much better than any other team running currently in GTOpen?
Everyone is running Ams, even in Pro class. Even our resident GT expert Bcarr6 has said it's easy wins for Lexus in that series and that even Pro Pro cars have an Am anyway. Forgive me if I can't get too excited about some easy wins in that series.

Blancpain is not the be all and end up, but apart from the N24 itself (rather than the BOP gaming of VLN races), it is by far and away the tip of the GT3 iceberg, and where you go to prove the car. Running around in series that you should win in, and win isn't going to do much. For all the time (and dear god there's been a lot of time spent on this car), money and effort to build factory backed teams, bring in top quality drivers and have them run by some of the best names in the business (ignoring 3GT, since Paul will be in jail soon and Lexus need to distance themselves from that team), it's such a massive waste and a let down to see them dodging proper competition in Europe and America for now.

Get that Lexus into Blancpain. Get rid of factory support in America and get the car in the hands of some better customers (it'll only improve once 3GT is out of the equation, and Lexus will be better off for it too). Then it'll be awesome and start making some real progress. I for one can't wait to see a Lexus fighting a Mercedes, a BMW and a Bentley for a podium at the Spa 24. That's what excites me - not easy wins in GT Open. I was so excited to see this car finally get to the level it's meant to be at, and then so disappointed to see it entered and represented in the series it's in.

As long as they don't go to the Michelin Le Mans Cup next.