View Single Post
Old 3 Oct 2017, 23:12 (Ref:3771630)   #41
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
is it confirmation bias or is it that this forum has just become increasingly hostile over the past few months and people are less willing to have honest and open conversations about things?
I think the two items you bring up are separate, but can be intertwined. To try to answer your questions...

Is if confirmation bias? Maybe? In some cases, probably? Particularly with outlandish claims. It's always hard to know what is going in inside someone else's head. Especially in a forum like this.

Has the forum become more hostile and is people being shouted down? I have been here since 2009 (longer than some and shorter than others) and my opinion is that it ebbs and flows and pretty much fully tracks with the personalities of those who post frequently. Visit other parts of the forum and just watch the personalities at play. The F1 forum is no different.

Regarding openness... I can only speak for myself. I am not self censoring, but I AM trying to remain positive, fair, not unfairly negative or contrary, but still critical (when needed) in my replies. I enjoy a good discussion, but not arguments. As they say... attack the post and not the poster!

Quote:
regardless of whether you think the Merc is better than Ferrari or vice verse, the Merc is certainly not 118 constructor points better.
Matter of opinion. Remember that the points are a reflection of the season as a whole. My opinion is that both Ferrari have had their ups and down, but that in general Mercedes "on average" is a much better package overall. I absolutely don't believe the theory that Ferrari is overall better and it is purely down to driver talent that has put Mercedes ahead.

Quote:
anyways, im not on one side or the other but i can certainly see where people are coming from on the Ferrari side.

and 5 races left to go, 125 points for the drivers title still up for grabs, engines are getting used up and and fortune can change very quickly.

anyways long rant short, regardless of who wins i think there is a legitimate argument to be made that the other title protagonist had the better car but just made more mistakes/had worse luck.
Ultimately it is why we have a points system. Outside of those points we can argue this twelve different ways and we may not agree as a group who is best, worst or otherwise.

Richard