View Single Post
Old 23 Aug 2016, 11:12 (Ref:3667181)   #44
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The main reason why Wimbo does not get big crowds or big meetings anymore is nothing whatsoever with the racing that is there.

It is do with inner city legislation in London that heavily taxes the Hi-abs and transporters that most stock car teams and drivers use to ferry their cars. THey are heavily monetarily penalised for bringing their vehicles into London.

In the last decade Wimbo used to hold the Banger world final, a huge event that had sell out crowds and was the only short oval meeting anywhere in the country to be all ticket. It could not be held there anymore because of this emissions legislation that prevents or heavily financially penalises older diesel vehicles from being in the inner London area.

And with meetings often finishing late on Saturday night, the chance of being "done" twice by the cameras was high, so the promoters moved the big meetings to other stadia.

Surely someone with your experience might know that eh? As it's been common knowledge as the main reason for the downfall of Wimbledon for years!

Khan has effectively signed the death warrant now anyway, by allowing Merton council to go ahead with building a football stadium there.

Americans to be honest don't know any better, their motorsport diet is built around oval racing, so the prize oney is immense, the ladder to top series like Late Models, Sprint cars and NASCAR is there for them, unlike anywhere else in the world, hence their short oval and oval racing in general attracts the kind of crowds we get for F1, MotoGP and other large events.

I personally dislike US racing, it is all non contact. the thing I like about most UK short oval racing. Yes the cars look great, are fast, but the racing is so so in my opinion.