View Single Post
Old 20 Apr 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2866848)   #6
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Norbert Singer about the overall Porsche Le Mans victory in 1994 in "Porsche Sieg '94 - 24 Heures Du Mans" by Ulrich Upietz in German and English language.

...Norbert Singer can answer this question: "No, even if nobody believes me in hindsight. At the planning stage I made numerous calculations. All led to the assumption that we should win with Group C, particularly because of the time advantage during tyre changes.
They could drive two stints with one set, which reduced every second pit stop to approximately 40 seconds. The lower tank capacity was partly countered by the weight adavantage. I certaintly wanted to know what happened to the Toyotas when they raced with flat under-sides.
Because I could not really ask, I fitted a flat under-side to an old 962 windtunnel model and tested: I discovered that the downforce was also reduced, but still considerably higher than we had. That started me thinking about our long rear end.
I was sure that if Toyota were doing it right, they would have an aerodynamic advantage. But as it was proved in the race, the advantage was not as great as expected. Toyota had perhaps not taken the problem very seriously and had underestimated us a bit.
"

Rainer Braun in "Brief von Braun - Lieber Markus Winkelhock!" (Letter from Braun - Dear Markus Winkelhock), Motorsport Aktuell No.18 19.4.2011 - I took the liberty to translate it from German to English, so I hope it makes sense and ain't too far off:

"Dear Markus Winkelhock,
Actually you should be thankfull to Audi that they didn't need your service after four victory-less DTM years anymore. With your new orientation towards FIA GT1 WCS you really hit the jackpot:
With the Lamborghini you finally have a car that's able to win and with Marc Basseng the ideal partner on your side. The results after your first two GT1 weekends are pretty well:
Podium at Abu Dhabi, double victory at Zolder and the solid leadership.
What a wonderful freeing feeling it must be, to become a winner again and to lead a world championship even, after such a long way of suffering.
Six years ago you sprayed the winners champagne for the last time. It was 2005 in the Formula Renault 3.5 World Series.
When the German anthem was played twice at the Zolder podium for you and Marc, I felt remembered to your dad immediately, who also had to survive a couple victory-less years. Manfred too, never gave up nor lost the confidence into himself.
Dear Markus, I am sure that he spectated from his box seat up there and now is very, very proud of you. Keep it up and take care.

Yours,
R. Braun"