View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2015, 01:10 (Ref:3529523)   #11
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Another thing I find that is a bit ridiculous in a lot of modern cars is the methods of using the parking brake. Why after years of something that was easy and efficient (on most cars) did somebody decide that an electric handbrake was the way to go with all sorts of problems that will cost a small fortune in the future ? and while I'm at it why bother with rear disc brakes at all ! especially those that are used for parking as when the discs cool down and contract the cars can (and do) run away on a decent hill, whereas a drum will contract and actually get tighter ! and the tiny drum in disc type isn't that marvelous !
Ok performance cars may need massive discs all round but not the majority of "normal" everyday transport vehicles.
Climb off my soapbox now !
I was going to bring up drum brakes next , I cannot believe that anyone would put such a thing on a modern car! Had not thought of your reason, I haven't seen a handbrake that was properly pulled up slip, you would hope that people would leave it in gear when parking anyway?

The cable that is routed down the exhaust tunnel would and would probably contract far more than the disc brake would tend to shrink?