View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2015, 23:02 (Ref:3529853)   #20
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I call them torque-to-yield bolts but they are becoming more prevalent. Why? They don't need a nut, so assembly is simpler and cheaper.

We have a store in the US called Fastenal that I source most of my bolts from. It's pennies compared to manufacturer pricing. For low stress or low risk applications I will reuse TTY bolts with threadlocker. I torque to specification plus a quarter turn.
That is a great name!

TTY bolts they are from now on for me!

"I torque to specification plus a quarter turn"
Don't they start to neck? They have reached the plastic deformation zone the first time they are torqued beyond the elastic limit, and subsequent installations will just plain stretch them.

Have you had trouble removing the large TTY bolts, seem to require huge amounts of torque to undo; probably why they are good without nuts; then often just break clean off!

P.S. I use threadlocker low strength on just about everything, stops corrosion in threads and requires the same amount of force to undo.