View Single Post
Old 27 Jun 2002, 09:11 (Ref:322742)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by KA

The XJS was only ever a Group A car (outside Australia anyway...)- it ran in the ETC from the first Gp A season in 82 (the ETC adopted Gp A before Britain did) until 84- and then occasionally at major races in Australia (TWR won Bathurst in 85), NZ & Japan until homologation ran out at the end of 86- (and in fact briefly afterwards- it ran in a couple of races in NZ at the beginning of 87 under a local dispensation a few weeks after homologation expired...)
I'll have to check back on that. Thanks. The oil cooler position on the rear valance led me to think it was Gp2.

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

Great topic!
I will come along to Snett this weekend and say Hi to some of you fellow 10/10thers.
The 60s/70s & 80s cars were far better for spectacular cornering than today's tourers. Rear wheel drive in most cases in those days and BIG V8/straight six noise!
Who can forget the great battles in the 80s between the Rovers, BMWs, XJS, Capris etc. But hey...talking about sideways, James Weaver in the BMW has to be my favourite. Remember 'Weaver's Trench' at Silverstone? So named due to his oversteering 635i dropping its rear wheel off the tarmac each time at Woodcote lap after lap.
Can't wait for Sunday!
I well remember "Weaver's Trench". It seemed to me that he was the only driver to get the best out of the 635. We have one of the original cars racing with the CTCRC.

My car is painted as a replica of the 1978-80 Spa 24hrs Spice team Capris.

The tin top action is mostly on Saturday at Snetterton. But do come and say hello if you get the chance. We are entered (reliability permitting) in the 1 hour race which (I believe) closes the weekend on Sunday.