View Single Post
Old 11 May 2003, 04:36 (Ref:595874)   #89
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We still need some incentive for both sides to come together. What is compromised to make the deal happen?

Does anyone have any problem with the way CART was a few years back with gobs of passing at all but two tracks, drivers, sponsors, teams? CART can still do that kind of race, but its a matter of execution. Pook has stabalized the series, but failed to ensure the on the track action is second to none. Under these circumstance I fail to see what CART can compromise to work with the IRL.

IRL obviously has THE race and some other good tracks. At the moment they've got some good names, although some of CART's names are simply less known. They will be become bigger (Jourdain being a perfect example), just like the CART built names now in the IRL.

One might argue that IRL has more passing and CART could adopt their car configuration. I am quiet adiment that the IRL does have passing, but it's not the kind of passing we want to see. Driving flat out and turning is not racing because the cars are not challanging enough to drive (yes I know I couldn't do it). Some have argued that CART's hanford device races of a couple years back had this problem too. I think the best always rose to the top and it was still a good test of driver ability.

In terms of the basic car layout, CART has the more cost effective, powerfull engine with potential for a lot more. IRL cars are heavy and the brakes are ill suited to non-ovals. Safety is also questionable.

The original IRL philosophy of lower cost, American racing is no longer a difference between the series. Neither has either.

In the end it's about the players involved, who controls what and who gets the money. CART seems to work better when controlled from the top but TG is rather self indulgent and would likely cause another split in the future. How do you resolve that?