View Single Post
Old 13 May 2003, 03:38 (Ref:597569)   #93
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR's marketing is absolutely brilliant. Has been for decades. It's like a soap opera, really! We've always had trouble getting a real storyline going in Indycars, even in the halcyon days.

NASCAR's just so full of characters. I complain about it, and yet even _I_ enjoy watching shows like Inside NASCAR Winston Cup. Those guys really love what they're doing, and it shows! I remember an ep where Michael Waltrip was late for the show, the other guys put Mikey's shirt over the chair, and were trying to include the shirt in the conversation!

Indycars really can't get to that level without the support of Speed Channel and, well, a lot of luck. But we at least need a _lot_ more attention paid to the driver's backgrounds and personalities! A roundtable show sure wouldn't hurt.

Honestly, I don't believe we can surpass NASCAR. We missed the boat with this stupid war. But we can get a lot closer with some really talented and charismatic Americans running at the front. And CART has penetration in the Latino market that NASCAR can only dream of.