View Single Post
Old 14 Jul 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2250693)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well from Wiki "A touring car was a popular car body style in the early 20th century, being a larger alternative to the runabout and the roadster. They were open cars, often fitted with convertible tops. Most early touring cars had a tonneau at the rear giving seating for four or more. Engines on early models were either in the front, or in a mid-body position. Touring cars evolved into the modern sedan/saloon body style."

or Touring car racing is a general term for a number of distinct auto racing competitions in heavily-modified street cars. It is notably popular in Britain, Germany, Scandinavia, and Australia. It can basically be considered a Closed-Circuit, sponsored, legal form of street racing performed by professional drivers.
so they start with a standard production shell (so DTM regardless of name is technically now a GT series) and touring cars are actually derived from production cars while NASCAR vehicles are custom built (although in the early days of NASCAR, stock cars were in fact built from production cars, much like current day touring cars

i hope that helps the quizzard in your house
i would say a touring car should be based on a 4 door saloon, but so many notables have not been...mini, cortina, alfa 156 etc...